Running a business comes with its fair share of ups and downs, and as a business owner, managing everything across your organization can be challenging, even during the best of times. As inflation rates and prices continue to rise across the board in the U.S. this year, it’s understandable that many business owners have growing concerns over the potential of a recession in the near future. The good news is that there are several action steps you can take now to be proactive in managing your marketing strategies in case the economy does eventually take a downturn. Here are three ways you can recession-proof your marketing strategies today.
Invest in SEO Now
As we have mentioned before, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a valuable part of your marketing plan and can help position your business as a leader in your industry by outranking your competition in Google and other search engines. Since SEO is a more long-term marketing strategy, it’s imperative to invest now before you all behind your competition. Developing a strong SEO strategy for your website can help your company build a strong foundation and position your business above your competition when demand is reduced during tough economic times.
Here are a few ways you can focus on SEO with a recession in mind:
- Focus on common keywords your customers use when they search for your products or services. Pay attention to long-tail keywords (more than 3 words) since these users are more likely to buy during a recession.
- Make sure you are building content with a purpose and clear goal in mind so you don’t waste time or resources. Research what your customers really are searching for.
- Share your content on relevant sites that actually reach your customers instead of wasting your time in areas that don’t serve their needs.
Focus on Customer Experience
In today’s competitive market, authenticity, excellent customer service, and a positive customer experience should all be top priorities for your business. Happy customers are more likely to give a positive review which will therefore make it easier to market your business overall. In fact, word-of-mouth marketing accounts for over 70% of purchase decisions and drives six trillion dollars of spending each year. Here are a few ways to focus on improving your customer experience now:
- Focus on high-quality customer service. It’s impossible to make every customer happy, so pay attention to your delivery and make sure your company is doing everything in its power to show your customers that you are reliable, efficient, friendly, and honest. Take the time to really listen so that you can build a solid partnership and relationship with them.
- Make sure you provide quality products. During a recession, customers will be even more careful with how they spend their money. If your services are of high quality, your customers will remain satisfied and confident they are using their money wisely.
- Always continue to find ways to improve. What are ways you can make your products and services better? Can you change the price or offer a guarantee? Showing your customers you are willing to go above and beyond will set you apart from your competitors.
Outsource Your Marketing
When a possible recession is looming, it’s time to really make sure every dollar is accounted for. Many businesses slow down on hiring during a recession to save money, which can put marketing directors and small businesses in a predicament. Outsourcing your marketing can be a great way to get the additional support that your team needs at a fraction of the cost of hiring an employee in-house. Not only will it be cost-effective in the long run, but you will also have the opportunity to tap into years of experience from a marketing agency that could bring in additional knowledge and expertise in ways an in-house employee could lack.
A recession can be a scary time for business owners, but thankfully there are many action steps you can take now to market your business and continue to increase sales, even during uncertain economic conditions. The most important thing is to stay positive and mindful of shits in the present, ensuring you stay competitive. Feel free to contact our team to discuss how to recession-proof your marketing strategies today, we will be glad to help!